Unfolding Consciousness: A Comprehensive Journey through Ancient Wisdom to Modern Science
Mainstream science views consciousness as nothing more than a by-product of the processes of the brain, something that emerges from the physical operations of the thinking organ. But even among materialists, the question of how consciousness emerges is a hot topic in research, while among philosophers and theologians, the primacy of consciousness in the experience of being human is a primary concern.
In this course, we will examine these disputes over the origin and importance of consciousness, and trace the unfolding of consciousness from the divine to the human being. With thought provoking, interactive discussions we will focus on how the Wisdom Tradition and the corroboration of some of its tenets by the science of the quantum era resolves intractable problems in mainstream science on the deeper issues of consciousness and life.
Saturdays, 10 – 11:30 a.m. CT / 16:00 – 17:30 GMT
February 10 – March 2 (4 classes)
TS Members: $70 • Nonmembers: $80
Registration includes on-demand access to recordings of all the classes, which can be viewed for two weeks following the date of the final class. Late registrants will receive recording links to all missed sessions for on-demand viewing.
- A panoramic survey contrasting science with the perennial philosophy on consciousness and humankind, providing an overall survey and appreciation of the context and field of inquiry. We will examine the current heated debate to solve the “hard problem” of consciousness (how external stimuli to the senses produce internal experience) and how we can pass beyond materialism through quantum science and enlightened psychology to an understanding of the nature of consciousness.
- Peering down the microscope to examine the internal landscapes of the human — the subtle body and the soul. The comprehensive teachings from the Wisdom Tradition will be presented on such perennial issues as the inner composition of the human being, the processes and dynamics of post-mortem existence and rebirth, and the infinite complexities of the human mind.
- Looking through the telescope at the wider context of the human being in relation to the universe, drawing on insights from symbolism and mysticism, supplemented by the deeper teachings of occultism on the nature of consciousness, how the human senses are the handiwork of divine forces, and matters of human destiny, purpose, and immortality.
- Topics of current mainstream scientific debate regarding the “hard problem” of consciousness, the nature of experience, and how the Wisdom Tradition resolves the conflict between a purely mechanistic theory of life and the existence of the soul.
- Program Format This is a live, interactive online program that will also be recorded. Our goal is to send recordings to you within two business days, often sooner. Recordings will be available for on-demand viewing for two weeks following the date of the final class.
- Software Platform Zoom for Windows, Mac, or mobile device; minimum recommended network bandwidth 1.5 Mbps. Please download Zoom for free at zoom.us/download, and test your connection at zoom.us/test. New to Zoom? Check out www.theosophical.org/FAQ.Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.